Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Snowmen

Once again, a joyful time spent with Mrs. Shank's first grade class!

I would like to share some of my favorite moments from the class.

1. We used the lines on the basketball court floor to help us with our pathways.  We learned a short combination and followed the lines around the space.  The kids enjoyed the visual pathway and challenge of jumping from line to line.  They also did a really good job at staying on the line and completing the task for each section.

2. We have explored many energy qualities in our dancing experiences together.  I brought objects each time to demonstrate these qualities.  To check for the kids understanding I asked them which qualities we had learned, and they remembered all of them! I was so excited! We then spent some time exploring these qualities once again as I played the drum.  It was beautiful to see them explore these ideas deeper and they made some very creative choices.

3. To conclude our time together we will be performing a dance for the student's parents in December as part of their Christmas program!  For this performance the student's will dance out the details of a storybook as I read it aloud.  The book is "Snowmen at Night."  This has been one of the funnest parts we have shared together as we have worked together to create this dance and reflect on all we have learned.




I am so proud of these sweet students and so grateful for their commitment and exploration. What an enriching experience it has been! :)


1 comment:

  1. I love your ability to use props and objects to keep the children's attention. I know that with really young children that is really hard to do, but I can tell that they were always attentive and participating in your classes! I also can't wait to hear about your final performance, I think that's a fantastic way to get the parents excited as well about what their children are doing in school-which is dance! Way to get the whole school excited about this form of art :)

    ReplyDelete